One of the things I absolutely enjoyed doing while still working in the corporate world was dressing up. I remembered how my female colleague would often swoon every time I walk into the office. It wasn’t long before most of the girls began to consult me and eventually we went out shopping together. For me, fashion is and will always be what each individual decide that it is for them. Beyond the trends and paparazzi, it is important to decide what works for you based on your values and work ethic. It is important to choose your office works based on your personal values, the company’s ethics, climate and comfort. Despite all this, you want to make sure your dressing inspires others coming behind you and not just flatter.
Today I have decided to share some tips to dressing up for work, looking gorgeous and inspiring at the same.
- Consider First the Company Culture: As much as you want to show the fashionista side of you, it is important to consider the company you work with. I remember the last place I worked before starting my own business, they expect you to wear corporate Mondays to Thursdays, and casuals on Fridays. So take this into consideration when shopping for work, find ways to make your week days wear fun, yet matured.
- Confident not Sexy: The goal is to walk into your office daily exuding confidence not appearing sexily. You don’t want every seeing you as trying too hard and the men looking at you as a sex object. Try as much as possible to avoid overly fitted and tight clothes as much as possible.
- Quality over Quantity: A well-made jacket in a quality fabric may cost you quite a bit more than one that is cheaply made. But it will look better, fit better, and last longer than the inexpensive version.
- Accessorize: Most people think about neck pieces when they hear about accessories, but its more than that. Accessorizing include such things as scarfs, wristwatches, hand chains, glasses etc. Remember the goal is to be moderate about it.
- Shoes: I love shoes and believe dressing up is never complete without them. So go for beautiful and comfortable, you don’t want to walk down the corridor kneel walking.
Above all, make sure to take care of those good-quality items that you’ve invested in. Find a reliable tailor and dry cleaner; they are about to become important people in your life. At-home dry cleaning kits can be very economical for blouses and sweaters, but unless you’re a whiz with the iron, you’ll still want to have your suits professionally cleaned. Locate the closest shoe repairers close to either your home or office, it’s important to not wait until your shoes are bad before going out to fix them.